My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Friday, December 31, 2004

How do you throw yourself a surprise party?

Oddly enough, I think I did. I planned to have some people over tonight; just six or seven people to hang out, talk, and play some games. Having been busy all day, I was frantically trying to get the house ready for them, because I had (strangely) agreed to go to dinner with my brother two hours before the party started. As I was cleaning, I wondered what had ever possessed me to go to dinner right before a party. But I went out with my brother, had a great time, and came home to find that everyone was early! And there were way more people than I expected. Then I walked in the door and everyone yelled "Surprise!" Well, I guess I wasn't too shocked...but if you think about it, it's the perfect way to hide a surprise party. Make the person think they're having people over. Although, it might have been more effective if no one had been standing in front of my house talking, or if familiar cars hadn't been parked on the road, or if I hadn't seen the people through the window as I walked towards the house.
That's a second attempt to throw me a surprise party, and my siblings were much better at hiding the secret than my fourteen-year-old friends looking at me and whispering loudly to each other "SHE'S COMING!" This one almost worked...well, it sort of did work. Anyway, it was a great happy birthday/going away party. Thanks to my amazing siblings for the party and hilarious video; thanks to my awesome friends for coming. I'll miss you all crazily.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Maura! Will be praying and thinking about you. Love you.
Joyce

1:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you off at the Greyhound bus station this morning....may God keep you and your team safe:)
Love Dad

10:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry i couldn't be at this, your second amazing surprise party. BUT I CANT BELIEVE YOUR SIBLINGS HID IT BETTER THEN YOUR 14 YEAR OLD DARLINGS!!! i still remember that time, at ambers house, with your fun "surprise" party, aw mois, we have the best memories!!
i'm so stoked that you are on this ADVENTURE...remember that talk in the car, of all our friends doing all this crazy life changing stuff...wowowowowowo i'm so proud of you and us and everyone and yah i'm rambling now but i love you

*heidi*

12:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home