My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Monday, April 25, 2005

The universal constants of Canada

Before I begin, I should apologize for the eclectic of this entry. It's been a few weeks and all my stories are a little jumbled. So please bear with me.
Well, in Toronto I got to spend time with even more family, this time my mom's side. It was great; I met three cousins I'd never met. That was the week of April 10th; we continued on to do shows in London and St. Catherine's. On the 17th, last Sunday after a show in St. Catherine's, we decided to go see Niagara Falls.
It was about 10:30 when we went. There were about ten huge spotlights on either side that kept changing colour from green to purple to blue. It would have been interesting to see red...
The falls are amazing. As we walked along the railing toward the Canadian side, the mist got thicker and thicker until we were all dripping wet. When people used to tell me about the American and Canadian side, I always pictured one big waterfall with Americans on one side and Canadians on the other. But they're actually two separate falls. It was really cool at night, because no one was there and the river was dark except for the falls.
The next morning we went again to see it during the day. I'd like to say that Niagara Falls is a nice town, but it's sort of a cross between a miniature Vegas and a permanent fairgrounds. Not bad, I guess, if you like that kind of thing. We did go to the Hard Rock cafe, which was cool. We also went on a tour behind the falls, which I must say was not worth the $8. I might have paid $4.
I am not an overly patient person. I'm also not very crafty. Despite these setbacks, I have decided to take up knitting. I have a project that I'm working up to, and I decided that I should learn patience and perserverance, so here I am learning to knit. Rhonda is the mastermind behind all this, and has taught me everything I need to know so far. She taught Jonathan to crochet and me to knit; we're becoming the Spread the Word textile factory.
Unfortunately, while we saw the falls and I learned to knit, Jeremy began to get sick; in fact, sick enough that he couldn't perform one night. In our show, it is impossible to do a normal performance if one person is missing, and Jeremy plays key parts in our sketches. So we figured out a way to juggle roles well enough that people asked us what parts Jeremy usually did play. It was pretty nerve-racking, but it went well.
Now, I mentioned in my last entry something about myself getting sick as well. I was backstage with Rhonda as Jeremy was introducing us when all of a sudden I felt sick. And I needed to find a washroom...fast. There was no way I could get through the show, but it was starting and I didn't know what to do! I looked at Rhonda with desperation; she grabbed my hand and led me off the stage past a bewildered Jeremy straight to the washroom. The whole time I was begging God to make me feel better so we could perform, and he came through. I was okay. The show went well. I felt fine the rest of the night.
There are two universal constants in Canada; the CN railway and Tim Hortons. I was fortunate enough to have been on tour when Tim Hortons started the beloved Roll up the Rim contest; by fortunate, I mean I bought a lot of coffee. Possibly too much coffee. The contest is more addictive than the caffeine! I drink my coffee with a feeling of expectation that at the end, I'll be able to roll up the rim and maybe I'll win something...and then I realize I'm drinking Starbucks. And then I think, "Why didn't I go to Tim Hortons? I could have won an Envoy!" They're brilliant, those Tim Horton's people. I should go buy another cup just to prove it. And if all they have left is extra large Roll up the Rim cups, I will buy an extra large. I am that addicted. Sadly, the contest is coming to an end, and I'll soon have to give up rolling the rim. But there's always hope; next year, I just might win that car. If not, there's a 1 in 9 chance of winning some kind of food every time.
As for the CN railway, I don't have any stories about them. Reneyah does like taking pictures of trains, though, because she thinks trains are romantic. But they are everywhere. Reneyah also loves hot tubs. Now when I say love, I mean that if those two words cross your lips, she perks up in excitement and will start asking questions. She jumps at any chance to use one. We even went to a public pool one night and went from the sauna to the hot tub three times. The lifeguard thought we were crazy.
Well, that's sort of a sketchy view of how our last few weeks have been. We also got to meet Jonathan's family, who are pretty awesome. We have two more shows in Ontario; Guelph on Friday and Toronto on Saturday. After that, we fly to Alberta on May 2. Please have good weather for us! I've been missing home the last few days, so it will be good to be in familiar territory. And our show at Southside is not far off; May 22! Can't wait to see Edmonton! Thank you all for your prayers and keep praying for us. God bless!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep the great blogging comming, it's been like 10 days now!

Jill & Noah

Just FYI we read via your RRS feed

2:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home