My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Christian chicken

In my haste the last time I blogged, I left out an important story about a Canadian icon; Tim Horton's. You see, I was talking one day about Tim Horton's claim that their coffee "never changes," and Rhonda said that the coffee out East does actually taste different. So I decided to test her claim. I bought coffee at the airport in Calgary and put it into my thermos and flew with it to Haliax. That same day, I went to a Tim Horton's in Dartmouth and compared the two.
And the verdict was; it did indeed taste different. The eastern coffee was fruitier and not as bold as the western coffee. I personally preferred Alberta's. Jeremy agreed that it tasted different, even without directly comparing the two. So Rhonda was right; there is a difference.
Our stay in Halifax was great. We got to stay with a great couple who were just starting up their own bed and breakfast. I love Maritime accents, especially the way they say "car." It almost sounds like "curr."
Halifax was our fourth Missionsfest, and so far I enjoyed it the best. Vancouver was the biggest, and we were busy doing shows the whole time. Winnipeg was much smaller, and Edmonton...well, it felt like home. But Halifax was the most personable in its management and had a relaxed, friendly feel to it. All of them were great, however, and we have one left in Toronto at the beginning of April. It was an interesting weekend; our props and set were sent ahead earlier this week, but didn't arrive until yesterday (monday). So we had to figure out a way to perform without props, set or costumes. But Rhonda and Jeremy, with Barrett's help, came up with a sketch list, bought a few extra props, and away we went. It worked great.
Those of you who are Christians in Edmonton know that Swiss Chalet is the place to go after church. If you're Pentecostal, it's a race to beat the Baptists there so you can get a table. This Sunday, I joined the Baptists and got there first. Apparently, Swiss Chalet is referred to as "Christian chicken" all over the country. Who'da thunk?
We left Sunday night for Sussex, New Brunswick, and are all staying here now. We had yesterday and today off, and have been relaxing and taking in some sights. Today it has been raining pretty hard, but we headed to the Bay of Fundy anyway. It's beautiful countryside, even on a rainy winter day. I can't imagine it in the summer and the fall. We ate fish in a little fishing town right on the bay, where the docks stand forty feet above the ocean floor at low tide. That was when we were there, and all the boats were nearly touching the ground. Later, when almost all the light was gone, we stopped at Hopewell Rocks. Even in near-total darkness, for a girl from landlocked Alberta, they were beautiful; a huge cliff overlooking massive rocks and a rocky beach, with trees everywhere. There was a big metal staircase heading down the cliff that apparently gets covered in water at high tide. Reneyah, Jonathan and I looked around for a while, made a video of us "singing in the rain," and ran back to the van soaking wet. It was a good day.
Well, my apologies for writing a novel, but I hope I kept you entertained. My team certainly keeps me entertained; I decided that I'm taking them all back to Edmonton with me. Oh and this book by Maura...I don't remember the title. Some children's chapter book about the Halifax Explosion, I think. Which is an interesting bit of history; a ship collision that wiped out a good chunk of Halifax.
Our Master Quoteswoman wins Quote of the Week again. Jeremy referred to Castaway in the process of somehow making fun of Reneyah. She came back with "Yeah, well, what about the soccer ball named Cooper?" That's right, Reneyah, you tell him.

And that is why I'm taking them all home with me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim Horton's coffee is different tasting....it must be the water:):)

Love
Dad

11:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home