My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy grapes

Throughout a lot of my life, I've mainly hung out with Christians. This has been a good influecne of my faith and the way I live my life, though it can limit your scope of thought, range of ideas, that kind of thing. Not until I came on this tour did I realize that not only have I spent most of my life with Christians, I've spent most of my life with Pentecostal Christians. Travelling with four non-Pentecostals, performing in Lutheran, Baptist, Mennonite, and Evangelical chruches, and meeting Christians from Greek Orthodox to Evangelical Free has opened my eyes. There really ARE other demoninations! And they have a different style of praying together, of singing, of worshipping. Yesterday, I heard a Mennonite pastor preach on tongues and prophecy. And really, what he said was not completely different from what I would have heard in a Pentecostal church, though there was no altar call.
In general, I try not to label myself as "Pentecostal," because that doesn't define my Christianity. It's interesting to watch myself react, though, to quiet prayer meetings and people who have only heard tongues once or twice in their life. Both are alien to me. I haven't asked about altar calls yet; I wonder how common they are in other denominations.
Life has been largely uneventful, though we did spend about half an hour debating the emotional, psychological, and biological aspects of a grape's transition into a raisin, based on Reneyah's statement that raisins used to be "happy grapes." But just so you know that we haven't gone crazy (yet), our conversations are generally intelligent and we don't always debate, unless talking about politics or Harry Potter. Rhonda decided that we should no longer discuss politics, because it gets a little heated.
And quote of the week once again goes to Reneyah. In her defense, I have to say that thoughts like these cross my mind, but anytime someone introduces a topic and I have no idea what they're talking about, I nod my head and pretend to understand, asking questions very, very selectively. If not, the quote book would be filled with my ignorant responses. I suppose this makes Reneyah more honest than me. Anyway, Jeremy was spouting yet another interesting fact; France was the first place where porcelain was made outside of China. To which Reneyah replied:
"China came from China!?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home