My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

A shot of maple syrup

This week, we had Monday and Tuesday off, so on Monday we decided to take in the many sights of Winnipeg. These include the legislature, the Golden Boy, and the Forks. The legislature was beautiful, but there wasn't much to see except giant bison statues (with which I got my picture) and the amazing architecture. The Golden Boy is a golden statue of a boy (who'da thunk) on top of the legislature, and there's a little one inside that I got my picture with. I also got a picture with a cutout of a Mountie.
Then we went to the Forks, which is basically the spot where the Assiniboine and Red River merge to become the Red River. Remember that from Social Studies, Louis Riel? And that was Winnipeg! I was surprised to find out that they have an Edmonton Street. They're one of the crazy cities that name their streets and don't number them. So confusing.
I spent Monday evening and most of Tuesday with some of the crazy people on my dad's side of the family. It was great to see them again.
Oh, and I've come to the conclusion that a specific requirement for every Canadian tourist shop is overpriced maple syrup. Three dollars for a bottle the size of a shot glass. You'd think it was liquor or gas or something.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

maura!!! you went to winnipeg!!! you saw the golden boy!! thats so awesome. i totally remember seeing that golden boy when i lived there. isn't he naked or something? well whatevs. he's a cutie.
i miss you dearly!!

*heidi*

10:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home