My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

FishingFest

Well, it's been a week since I last wrote, and we've driven a lot. After Revelstoke, we drove to Barons and slept at the headquarters (doesn't that sound cool, "headquarters"?). Dale asked if I used my scarf to "scarf" down my food, and Barrett told me that I'm "phlegmy;" so they're both in fine form. I'm not sure if I clarified, but Dale is our administrator and Barrett is our director. Anyway, they stayed in balmy Alberta and we continued on to Regina, where I was reminded that it's still winter. In Regina, our team discovered a sport called shuffleboard. I had never played before, and our host asked if we would like him to teach us. Jonathan, Reneyah, Jeremy and I played against each other while Rhonda sat back and watched (smart move). I used to think shuffleboard was only for people over fifty, but let me tell you, this was intense. I'm a fairly competitive person, as most people will tell you, and this game brought out the worst in me! I was on edge the whole time, and there was a feeling of tension in the air. And when Jeremy started doing a victory dance, ooohhhh I could have punched him. But I (graciously) restrained myself and won 2 out of 3 games, each with a different partner.
After Regina, we headed to Steinbach and did a couple sketches at the Bible college there. Then off to the Winnipeg Missionfest! That took up our weekend, but we did get to perform at Church of the Rock. It's an interesting set up there; it's an non-denominational church of about a thousand people, and they outgrew their old building and moved into a warehouse. They've redone the warehouse and it looks really good, but it's so huge! Seriously, they should start an electric cart ministry to get from one end of the building to another. So this Sunday morning we performed in front of 800-1000 people, including my aunt and cousin. I'm meeting up with some family over the next couple days, so that will be exciting. I realized that I have a LOT of family all over the country. Hopefully I'll get to see some of them while breezing my way through!
I would like to announce to everyone reading this that I, Maura, have watched an entire Superbowl game. AND enjoyed it. AND correctly predicted the winning team in the first quarter (not period, they call them quarters in football). Go New England Patriots! I also know the key differences between American and Canadian football. And that some really big guy on the Patriots makes 2 million a year. And I know what a field goal is. Trust me, these are giants steps for me.
Oh, and I'd just like to say, for the record, that I am travelling with an awesome team. They are GREAT people and I'm so glad I met them.
Quotes of the week
Reneyah: "It looks like a residential homeless cat!"
Jeremy: "Missionfest!?? I thought this was FishingFest!"
Pastor of a church in Winnipeg: "You win the Quacker award for the week."

P.S.: I highly recommend NEVER watching Dodgeball to the very end after the credits.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well...I've succumbed to the online journal world - www.livejournal.com/users/_joycie_/

9:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home