My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Cafe Wycliffe

After four months of performing the show, you start to notice little differences in each performance. We feel confident enough to laugh at them now, and they're usually small enough that the audience doesn't know the difference. We did, however, have one where a zillion things seemed to go wrong; we were forgetting lines, breaking the stage, adding lines, forgetting entrances, and I was trying to figure out why we were doing so badly when I realized that we hadn't prayed before. I'm convinced that that's why, though it wasn't bad enough to ruin the show or our message. At another show last week, Reneyah thought it would be funny to make me laugh while on stage. Oh, it was hilarious.
I have to say that one of the coolest things on this trip is meeting other missionaries. They tell so many amazing stories and shamelessly promote Wycliffe or mission work in general. We were talking to one man who was telling us about jungle camp in Cameroon, where you camp on the beach and live in a village and all this crazy stuff. He also told us about an area of work called ethnomusicology. These people go and help minority language groups to put scripture into song in their own muscial style. Apparently the music varies hugely over cultures, with things like 12 part harmonies and 7-note scales. Can you imagine? I thought that was the coolest job description; not that I'm a musician or ever will be. Who would have thought that you can do that for a living?
Though I know I'm not called to ethnomusicology, I have rediscovered my calling to missions through this trip. It's not really a question in my mind; I'm going to work on the mission field, either in Canada or elsewhere, with some kind of missions organization. Maybe not for my whole life, but at least for part of it. How awesome is that? I'm so excited about it!
Last Saturday we did a performance for Wycliffe campus ministries; they put on an evening called "Cafe Wycliffe" promoting different areas in which you can get involved. It was a really great evening with a lot of missionaries from all over Wycliffe, targeted at young adults and youth. Plus they had cake and chai tea! They're putting on the same thing in Spruce Grove this coming Thursday (the 26th), 7:00 at Spruce Grove Congregational Church, so if you'd like to see us perform, I reccommend that evening. The rest of our schedule for the week is at the Spread the Word site. We're coming to Edmonton on Sunday and I hope to see you guys there!
Ciao!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a time. That 's very interesting about the person who helps people put scripture to the music of their culture, very cool.

When will you be comming home?

--Noah & Jill

2:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home