My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Monday, June 13, 2005

BC: for your viewing convenience

At my junior high school, every year the seventh graders take an overnight trip to Frank Slide. For those of you who don't know, Frank was an Albertan town that was completely buried by a landslide in 1903. Unfortunately, to my great disappointment, I was not able to go on the trip with my classmates. So on Saturday, eight years late and without adult supervision, I finally got to see it. It is a stunning sight; a sea of rocks on either side of the highway. Even a hundred years later, the rubble remains, sitting under a smooth mountain face where it used to be securely attached.
This was on our way from Pincher Creek to Cranbrook. We also stopped in Sparwood to see the world's largest truck. Let me tell you, it is a large truck. It was a mining truck designed to carry350 tons of coal (or whatever), holds something like 3600 litres of gas, and, when the load is being dumped, is 56 feet tall. I could stand inside the tire. We climbed up the treads and had our picture taken on top of one of them. It's a large truck.
When we made it to Cranbrook, we rolled into the church parking lot where a treacherous puddle resulted in a flat tire. Poor Ajeeb. We put him through a lot. I don't think they've used the spare before; it was rusting and caked with dirt. We managed to get him fixed today at no major expense.
And I am pleased to announce that yet another team member is learning to knit! Jonathan has already started a project, and Reneyah continually said that it wouldn't happen; she would not learn to knit. Then she made the mistake of walking down the yarn aisle with Rhonda and I, where a ball of yarn leaped out and grabbed her heart. "Maura," she asked me, "how long would it take for me to make mittens?" Four down, one to go. Pretty sure he'll never go, though. Jeremy's not exactly the knitting type.
Today, I was sitting in a park in Creston looking at the amazing scenery of British Columbia. Oddly enough, I found myself not looking at the mountains but at the sky. And I thought to myself; really, the mountains just make for easy viewing of the scenery because they're elevated. In Alberta, you have to work for it; you either have to go up high or travel far to see much of it. But in BC, you look around and there it is, all in one place for your viewing convenience; rocks, trees, rivers, sky, lakes, everything! So I really must be a prairie girl, because even with all that convenient scenery, first and foremost I notice the sky.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Maura, do you really think it's worth cleaning up Frank Slide? Think about how much work it would be to move those rocks. You'd need a lot of people and a lot of time. If you multiply a lot of people by a lot of time, you need a lot of money... and then you have an empty valley, ugly because of big muddy rock holes, and nothing to do with it. Frank Ex-Slide?

6:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home