My take on a six-month drama tour across Canada.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Jeremy

Our fearless leader. Jeremy was the first one of the team that I met, and he struck me as...well, a strange guy holding a sign with my name on it. Then I went into a strange van with him, recognizing only his name and that he knew mine, and praying that this wasn't a scam or a cult. Looking back, I laugh, because I was so nervous to meet everyone and they were such odd circumstances under which to meet someone.
As soon as I found out that he wasn't going to brainwash me or steal my money, Jeremy turned out to be a awesome guy. He's really funny; both goofy and witty, with his fair share of lame jokes. Along with his humour is a stunning memory and intelligence. Jeremy reads a lot, he reads fast, and he absorbs everything. He knows random facts about pretty much the entire universe, particularly music, history and theology. He lent me a book called Salt:A World History. That's the type of book you'd typically find him reading. For fun. It turned out to be really interesting.
Of the 12000+ kilometres we've travelled, Jeremy has probably driven about 90% of them. You'd think it would get tiring, but whenever someone mentions it he just kinda shrugs and says "Meh." And he's consistently a good driver, too, even after five hours of incredibly stimulating prairie roads. The secret, I think, lies in stimulating himself otherwise, particulary by teasing Reneyah. On any rare occasion that they sit beside each other in the van, there is not a moment of silence the entire trip. But even from the driver's seat, Jeremy has an uncanny ability to push Reneyah's buttons. I have to admit, however, that he can get me just as bad, though maybe not as often.
In most of my major roles in the show, I was cast opposite Jeremy. He's a very talented actor and it has been great to work with him. And not just on stage; he's been a good tour manager as well. In countless situations where a more volatile leader would have worried, panicked, or flipped out, he's been totally cool and relaxed. I think back to the time that Ajeeb had bad gas; our first day on the road, and we were stuck in Revelstoke. My first reaction was to panic, but Jeremy calmly dealt with it appropriately and the next day we were on our way. He tempers everything, even the inevitable frustrations of leadership, by trying to see outside his own perception. Over these six months, this has definitely helped him develop as a leader.
Of anyone I know, Jeremy reads the most, plays the most Playstation, has the most powerful voice, and is one of the least materialistic. He's good with kids, and they love him because he's really just a big goof. He always says that his and Rhonda's kids will be awesome. He's a man of strong convictions, is a very interesting dancer, and has given me some of the most profound advice of my life; "Get married."
I think you're right. Your kids will be awesome.
I love you, Jeremy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home